March 16, 2010

CBI: I'll take that



Well, BU lost to Vermont on Saturday in case you were living under a rock. If I were a Catamount fan I would have nothing but great things to say about the day. I am not, and it wasn't a fun drive back afterwards.

Give the team credit - they left it all out there. The fans showed up for them, and in my opinion, we were plenty loud.

I don't think I'll ever forget the one shot BU had to take the lead in the game. It was in the second half. John Holland just missed a 7-footer. It's hard to wipe it from my memory, but fortunately BU will get to play in another game.

Today the team traveled to Oregon (on a 6-propellor plane) and tomorrow they'll play the reigning CBI champion Oregon State Beavers. Both last and this year the Beavs enter the tournament with a losing record. They do play in the (weaker than usual) Pac-10, but at least it gives the Terriers another shot at winning.

No reason not to predict a tournament BU's playing in, right? Here's our shot at the CBI bracket:

Jesus:




Hot Dog:




BU wins in both!!!1!

It is a pay-to-play tournament. But that's only if you host a home game. The price of that is either $60 or $30k. Clearly, there's no fucking way BU could ever host a game and expect to make that money back, so for the duration of the tournament, BU will be on the road.

The women get to play in the WNIT because both UVM and Hartford were given bids to the NCAA tournament. The top remaining team in each conference not invited to the big dance play in the NIT. This year there are 64 teams in the NIT, which in my opinion, is over the top.

BU hosts Providence on Thursday. Anything could happen!!


If you don't want to go for all that ^, you must be some sort of Commi. Not that there's anything wrong with that (yes there is).

I'd like to close this somewhat sad BU basketball post with an uplifting quote that sits on Coach Chambers nightstand. I've never entered his home, but somehow I know this. Here it is, and as you could guess, it's about attitude. Attitude is what got BU to the conference final for the first time in years, and I can only hope, it's just one of many visits that Chambers takes the Terriers to:

Attitude is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failure, than success, than what other people think, say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a business, a home, a team a friendship or an organization. The remarkable thing is you have a choice every day of what your attitude will be. We cannot change the past, we cannot change the action of others. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can change is our attitude. Life is 10 % of what happened to us and 90% of how we react to it.

Winning any tournament is special. I don't care what level it is. For BU to compete and win a game or even five would be a huge accomplishment and mean something not only to me, but I'm sure the senior class. When and if BU has a game in driving or walking distance, I'll be there. Unfortunately, tomorrow night I'll have to rely on whatever form of telecommunication is available in Corvallis, Oregon.

No comments: