January 19, 2010

Fenway, oh Fenway!

How wonderful Mike Lynch, Dean Elmore, and Jesus are for putting together a ground-breaking, moving, and historic event. Really, will this type of event ever have a chance of happening again? The answer is probably not. Not anytime soon, and I don't think in my lifetime (since the world ends in 2012).

But the event - unreal. My evening started at Tequila Rain, or as I like to call it, Tequila PAIN, cause it brings it. Tequila PAIN was the hot spot for BU faithful, students and alumni for pregame and game festivities. Each BU person received a drink voucher and guarantee for free food, all for the low-low price of $10.

I had no gripes about the event other than two things. I saw tons of people I've missed dearly (two, really). That was good. The bad came when first trying to get a drink only to be met at the bar with far too many people trying to get a drink from just TWO bartenders.

The part that PAIN really dropped the ball on was food. PAIN wasn't prepared. They brought out single, large plates of finger-food one at a time. It's not like it was out all night - the PAIN workers would bring them out at random times, to a line of probably 30+ people, just waiting for any morsel of food. Naturally, there was a mad scramble to get but one chicken finger. HORRIBLE. Somehow, I was fortunate enough to feed myself.

I wouldn't have completely minded if I didn't eat. The extra alcohol jacket really could've come in handy, because upon leaving PAIN, I realized how cold it really was. FRIGID.

As I walked into Fenway, flurries were falling, which made the entire experience even better. I walked around the park to Gate D and was part of the massive log-jam. Pretty much everyone had the same idea - drink until the last possible second to still make it into the game. It took probably three times as long to walk from Gate D, 30 feet to the proper section than it did to walk from PAIN to Gate D.


Anyways, once entering the open field area and seeing the decorations, the snow, the rink, I was blown away. Trying to take it all in while walking to the proper section was difficult. I found a spot where Jesus' ticketed seat was (we didn't buy them together, thus we weren't ticketed close to each other) difficult - wearing my liquor coat while walking, drooling, and watching everything was harder for me than first semester Spanish. AND I GOT A C+ IN SPANISH I.

Most of the BU students were above the Red Sox dugout. That's where the band was, so that's really all that mattered. I guess we timed it perfectly, because right as we got to the $15 seats (that cost like hundreds for Sox) the teams were walking to the ice and the American flag was being walked out.

Perfect time for me to stand on a seat:


After the anthem and watching the game for about five minutes Jesus and I decided that there's no way we could actually watch the game from the angle we had. We had a completely obstructed view. Fortunately, Jesus' mother had seats in the grandstand above us, so we got to join her and actually watch a goal get put in the back of the net.

We were kicked out and became partial refugees, going from friend to friend on the first baseline. At the end of the period we did some more walking around and found our lady friends who all happen to be WAGS of some of the hockey players. They were more than willing to accommodate our viewing problem and let us stand in their aisle with them in the first base grandstands.

For the remainder of the game we actually got to watch the contest. We saw the puck, hits, plays, everything without missing a beat. The snow stopped flurrying, but the temperatures stayed just as cold as it had been.

Fenway was absolutely packed, but by the third period most of the outfield grandstands lower rows had emptied due to the ridiculous sight lines.


Dear God

Regardless, BU entered the third period with the 3-1 lead. Myself, along with I believe, everyone in attendance knew that BU was going to let the lead slip away. Sure enough, that's what happened. It was tight-asshole for the entirety of the period, but extra hard during the final five minutes as the play was basically in the BU zone the entire time.

BU somehow held on, and secured what definitely was a huge win momentum-wise.

Now, onto the jerseys. At first I liked the BC jerseys a lot more, because of the coloring. I thought BU's were just the normal road jerseys, without filled in lettering. Oh boy, was I wrong.


As the game went on I started to realize what the BU jerseys were all about. AMAZING. Based off the Red Sox jerseys, and designed by Jack Parker, these jerseys are one hot commodity.


If anyone wants to donate to me I will pay you in old gameday tickets. I don't think anyone but the players will ever own one since Parker did say that in his postgame press conference.

It doesn't matter. The memory of the entire experience is way more valuable. Win or lose the whole event was going to inevitably be incredible. It certainly was, and I hope that one day, somehow, someway, BU and BC can do it again.

No comments: