October 15, 2008

#9 BU vs. #11 MSU - 10/15/08

Topping: Ketchup
Sport: Men's Hockey
Final Score: BU - 2 MSU - 1
Attendance was up a little bit from the previous night, but I didn't really care about that. I cared about the product on the ice, and that product, again, looked promisingly good.

I've never felt like this. I'm already convinced that this team is tops in college hockey. I know I shouldn't feel like this, I know it's only been two games, I know it's October - I know all of this, but I can't hide my true feelings. This year just feels likes it's gonna happen. And not the Chicago Cubs style "it's gonna happen." Like a promising it's gonna happen. Right now, I'm not sure what that's going to be, but it's going to happen.

BU's defense was the shining star against Michigan State - the Terriers only allowed Grant Rollheiser to see 13 shots. He was perfect on all but one of them that split his five hole from almost the blue line. Regardless, BU played with desire and intensity and won a hard-nosed, solid hockey game.

The bad? Jason Lawrence. A slashing penalty five seconds into the game? A penalty while on a penalty kill to make BU have to play a 5 on 3? Jason, come on now...smart hockey.

In addition - Nick Bonino wasn't the same from the night before. Then again, neither was Wilson. I'm not just saying that because they didn't score any points - I think the combination of Lerg and a heavy MSU focus on both players suffocated them a little bit.

David Warsofsky looks like a stud. The first goal was all a product of his hard work while shorthanded. He's such an offensive minded defender - he's Matt Gilroy but a little smaller.

Kevin Shattenkirk looks much improved from last season. I don't know what he did, but he's gotta keep doing whatever it is (beef jerkey diet?). In fact, the entire defense looked much improved from last year. Strait was awesome, Gryba was checking, hitting, scaring, and playing smart. Gilroy is Gilroy - running the team. I did get oh-so scared when he went to the locker room after getting hit in the foot by a puck in the second period. Many sighs of relief were heard when he reappeared on the ice.

I'm thinking so positively heading into conference play. It helps that perennial bottom-dweller Merrimack storms into town (watch out, they're on a winning streak!).

These two non-conference wins help BU tremendously - not only with confidence now, but having victories over top programs that will certainly be in contention for a tournament bid come March makes this team's potential end of the year record a little stronger.

No comments: