February 19, 2008

BU vs. Maine - 2/16/08

The second of the two game home stand didn't disappoint. This is the exact weekend the Terriers needed. Well, maybe more than 3 goals, but whatever, I'll take four points.

If you had told me the Terriers would only score 3 goals against Maine before the weekend began I would have said we were bound to lose both games. No, I would have said we were definitely going to lose two games, no question.

I would've been wrong. Brett Bennett stepped up to make stops and get his first ever shutout. The attendance was slightly higher for the second OT game in a row and a much more boring one.

I've said it once and I'll say it again - Maine sucks. But Ben Bishop is good. So sorry Ben, I do feel kind of bad for you because you are the only thing that has kept this team from a winless season (you should probably get credit for all the Black Bear goals this season, no lie).

I love close hockey, but scoreless hockey isn't that fun. I remember last year, two 0-0 ties at Agganis. Thank God Colin Wilson nailed it home with a minute thirty to go. He is playing so well since returning from World Juniors in December. Wilson is standing out right now which is only going to help his draft stock and hurt the Terriers chances with him in for four years.

Oh. Well. Two wins are two wins. There is no doubt that the next two games are the most crucial games for the Terriers - home and home with Northeastern.

The USCHO message board has blown up already with lots and lots of call outs from both BU and NU fans. This supposed rivalry has pretty much erupted into a real rivalry - BU fans and NU fans are clearly some of the most passionate in college hockey, there's no denying that.

I look forward to visiting Matthews Arena on Friday. I always do. However I hate the artificial noisemakers that NU fans ALWAYS have. I hear it's pots and pans night for Friday's game - NU students probably don't have to look to hard to try to find their future tools of trade (HAHAHA I KID).

No comments: